Weather

7-Day Forecast for Scenic Hot Springs Area (2,900 ft near beginning of Trail Head)

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Minor Cleanup Party this coming Sunday

Where: At the gate on FS850

When: Sunday, June 3rd at 11am

Here's a chance to visit Scenic Hot Springs and do a little tender-loving care to the property and the adjoining areas of the litter and erosion from the winter and spring months. Afterward, we will have an opportunity to enjoy the springs. This cleanup party will not be a major undertaking and we will simply hike on up to the hot springs, cleaning up a few culverts along the way and collecting trash that the unrespectful have left behind. Participation counts toward gaining more opportunities from the owner . . . so don't forget to sign in. I will also hand out new 2007 Season Permission Cards to those who are already involved in the restoration of the hot springs. The cards issued last season will retire to weed out those who are not actively involved, do not participate in clean-ups, or that we are unable to contact. Permission cards are not a perputual invitation to visit the hot springs . . . they are at the pleasure of the owner.

As in past cleanups, let's meet around 11am at the gate, signin, and proceed up FS 850 to park in the clearcut area. The cleanup and soak will last to around 3pm when I will go back down to let vehicles back out (or later if there is consensus). those who might need to leave before 3pm, please park before the gate.

Objectives:
  1. Cleanup the litter on the areas off the gated area down to Highway 2. We owe this to the Forest Service as it is the people who head up to Scenic that are tossing this trash. I did some cleanup last week but I'm sure there is more.
  2. I need a few people to litter patrol the FS Road from the gate to the clearcut, and one or two to do the same on the first bypass trail.
  3. The road cut at the second bend could use some filling to help ease vehicle across without bottoming out; likewise, there is a tree snag partially blocking the road near the clearcut which we need moved out of the way.
  4. From the clearcut, those that like to hike, there are a few fallen trees and snags down in the BPA loop that could use an assist off the road. For the rest, up the second bypass trail to pick up litter on the road and the side slopes.
  5. I need to re-plant a new 'No trespassing' sign near the second tower. I have the signs and post. Likewise, just inside the trailhead we need to figure out how to correct the floded over 'No Trespassing' sign high in that tree.
  6. As we head up the upper BPA Road, we should check the culverts and unblock them as necessary. Where streams cross the road, we will assess if there is anything to do that will keep the streams in their course, and protect against erosion on the downslope side (usually means partially blocking the flow to slow the water down and create sedimentation filling).
  7. We will do litter control on the trail and correct errant seepages on the water bars we placed two years ago.
  8. Litter patrol the pool area and the downslope area from the pool.
  9. Enjoy a soak!!!!
Tools: Nothing major. I'll bring my folding shovel to do culvert cleanout. Perhaps a hammer to post signs.

Everyone, good shoes and gloves. Bring water, something to snack and a smile.


Is there anyone out there that is good with making conceptulized drawings? We need someone who can look at the hot spring site, visualize what the pools might look like in place, and produce a nice drawing in colored pencil. A 2007 Permission Card to the individual who can make drawings for us.

Rick

12 comments:

  1. Hey Rick,
    I'm an outdoors person who has been very interested in the Scenic Hotsprings project. Currently, I'm out of state, and am interested as to what details you had in mind about those drawings. I have drafting experience, however, mostly to do with structural and mechanical devices... but I'd like to be able to help out from a distance if I can.
    ky43db@yahoo.com
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron, What I had in mind was for someone to sketch in the existing area and then add rock-lined pools as I describe them. I don't know of any real way to do that from a distance. I have a fairly good idea of the size and shape of the pools as a mental image. I just can't draw perspective worth and damn.

    I guess they're called conceptual drawings . . . those colored pencil renditions that illustrators make showing what a new building project would look like . . . Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, we are interested in becoming "members" what do we need to do to help, is there going to be another clean up? Please let us know.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:26 PM

    I dont understand the whole deal with the hot springs. you own it? it is just on your land or something. I dont think its very fair to put rules and regulations on a natural thing that shoudl be enjoyed by everyone who wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. brfrobin & aaron: Send me an email with contact info to bangedupshins@gmail.com and I'll add you to the volunteer list for future cleanups.

    anonymous: In a perfect world I would agree with you. However, this is not a perfect world.

    The land the hot springs are on is private property. I work with the owner of that property and this is one way we can get information disseminated.

    The owner pay a lot of money for that property and is paying a lot more money to make these hot springs legally accessible to the public. He cannot simply open up his property and say 'free-for-all' . . . he would be slapped with a contempt charge real quick. The owner is dealing with the red tape to bring these springs back to you.

    The owner is responsible for just about everything that happens on his property . . . therefor, he certainly has the right to control access and limit his liability. The owner also is the one paying property taxes on this property.

    In short, it is his property and he has a right to determine who can and cannot come on his land. You are not paying the bills . . . the owner is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, interested in helping out, used to love going up there and I think it's awesome that you're revitalizing it. Is there a mailing list for the work parties? I could probably bring friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Rick,

    This is Thunder from Oahu...I'm coming back to Washington and Oregon Friday, this Friday.... Want to visit the springs after visiting Doe Bay Resort on Orcas, on my way to Winthrop for the R & B festival.... LEt me know if it's ok... I leave tomorrow morning, Fri... thundermountainhawaii@yahoo.com... Landline is 808-695-5299.... let me know... Aloha....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Hi,
    I am trying to find a phone number or email of a contact to get permission to hike to the springs.
    I have known of them for many years and have always wanted the experience.
    I am an artist ,I see you may need help in this area ?
    I have two able bodied people also interested and would like to help at the site.
    We are nature conscious 40 somethings. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very interested in helping but I am unable to make it this weekend. But if you could let me know when you might be heading back up to do more work. I have alot of tools that are perfect this type of work. I also have been doing some restoring of baker after this very harsh winter. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:15 AM

    This site used to be great until all of this legal crap. Maybe the owner should just sell back to the gov and let them try to regulate.

    This really should be open to the public and left to be natural without wood boxing, fake rocks and all this effort to caretake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kiril3:10 AM

    Hi Rick,

    Is it possible to get a permission to use the hot springs on Monday, Sept. 3? We're going to be a party of 4 or 5.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete