7-Day Forecast for Scenic Hot Springs Area (2,900 ft near beginning of Trail Head)

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Advance Notice on Requests

A trend happens sometimes during particularly popular days where a request ends up holding back other requests while we attempt to confirm the first request.  We always attempt to hold a pending reservation for as long as possible but sometimes . . . often . . . these uncommitted requests end up blocking later requests from people who are ready to 'commit'.  Two days advance notice on a couple is fine . . . but a group of 6,7,8,9 etc filling all potential spots but not committing, is ruining it for everyone else.

Therefore, to deter ‘sitting’ on potential reservations to the last moment (and possibly dropping the request), the following policy applies: 

“Confirmation lead-time is dependent on the number of visitors requesting access. We will backtrack that number of  days for a deadline to either confirm or release a reservation so that others may visit  (i.e., 4 visitors on request; that request needs to be confirmed NLT four days before the planned visit).”


Friday, February 06, 2015

Some Updates on Scenic

Not much snow in the mountains . . .  some definite challenges.

Warm weather and rain keep delaying the recovery of the Lobster Pot springs and pool.  At last report, Lobster was climbing near body temperature.

Bear Den, the other spring source and pool, is highly resistant to ground water melt and rain.  It is holding a toasty 104F.

This is the access road leading to the gate and the route up to the hot springs.  Normally, at this time of year there is a six-foot tall snow plow berm across the entrance.  Now there is hardly any obstacle . . . except that extremely slippery thick sheet of ice right at the busy highway entrance.  It is possible to drive up to the gate (without blocking the gate) but the trip back down is going to be dicey with chances of skidding right into traffic on the highway.  Stick to the alternate parking for right now (that is, if you have permission).  Update:  Even that ice is now gone (2-9-2015)

Rock Alley, about halfway up the trail.  This time of year it should be completely plugged with Cascade Concrete (the wet and heavy snow that makes for impassable bars to progress).

The upper bench on approx level with the hot springs.  This is just after making the one switchback on the trail . . . and about 500 feet from the pools.  The record snow height was in '96 with just under twenty feet of snow on this upper bench.  Intrepid visitors would eventually carve tunnel-like paths with their snow shoes to the hot springs.  No snow right now and that is worrying: the snow-pack is our water supply and it is only about 40% of normal.  Expect some serious drought problems this summer . . . and dangerous fire conditions.

Monday, February 02, 2015

Timely Requests for Access

In the Conditions of Access (the link is also in the sidebar) we request at least two days advance notice to respond to, check on current reservations, activities and conditions, and answer your request.  We also request that those desiring access to Scenic, follow up the initial request (and follow-on correspondence) in a timely manner.  We hold a "Reservation Pending" for as long as possible . . . waiting for the requester to complete these Conditions of Access . . . meanwhile, others are denied access due to these pending reservations.  And when they never follow-through, no one gets a chance to enjoy the hot springs that day.

So, effective immediately, if you request a reservation and do not complete the process within two days of your requested reservation, then we reserve the right to cancel your request and offer the spots to others.  Update:  A new policy is now in effect requiring follow-through earlier in some case.  See the post here:

In correspondence with us, please make the subject line appropriate to the request (i.e. Michael's, Request for Access Sat. Jul 3rd 2015).  We get hundreds of emails each month and we must match different threads up with the appropriate request.

Do not start a new request using an email for an earlier visit.  This just confuses us as to what date you are looking for.  If we have given you a 'Rain Check', please save that email and reply to that to reschedule.

Some people make requests far into the future.  Please consider that we cannot vet what conditions will be like weeks or months into the future.  As the date for you trip approaches, consider emailing or contacting us for an update on the springs and to finalize access.

A real-time calendar (same data as the one in the sidebar) is below to help you choose dates.