|A black bear|
- Strong scents and food odors attract bears. Perfumes and scented sun screens are a no-no.
- Bears avoid the areas of the trail and pools - they smell us. Occasionally you might see bear sign crossing the trail. The bear is just taking a shortcut when it doesn't think any of us are around.
- Talk to each other on the trail. The bear will here the noise and most likely be gone before you know it was there.
- If you are feeling really nervous, invest in bear spray (available at REI and other outdoors stores). Another tip is to have a road flare available. Bears are genuinely spooked by a lit flare.
- If confronted by a bear, stand tall, make noise, and slowly back away. Do not run . . . that does nothing by excite the chase reflex.